Scientist/Sr. Scientist, Bioprocess Engineering (New York)
BlueRock Therapeutics is a next-generation regenerative medicine company focused on breakthrough treatments and new horizons in medicine. BlueRock Therapeutics’ platform is based on state of the art pluripotent stem cell engineering tools and expansion technology. The company represents a strategic partnership between Bayer and Versant Ventures, and has been granted access to one of the largest-ever Series A financings in biotech.
Our vision at BlueRock is to cure cardiovascular, neurologic and other diseases with significant unmet need and diminished self-repair potential. Our platform is enabled by strategic partnerships with leading academic and industry collaborators in the U.S., Canada and Japan.
BlueRock`s ambition is to have an R&D team of dynamic and highly engaged top scientists who are inspired to take project ownership and further develop themselves in one of the most rapidly growing scientific fields. At BlueRock we value open communication, collaboration and a positive and fun working environment in which both individual and team contributions are recognized. Our world-class management team is committed to fostering the growth and career development of employees.
The New York City site is seeking a Scientist/Senior Scientist, Bioprocess Engineering, reporting to the Senior Director, Process Sciences.
The incumbent will be a key laboratory member in a dynamic and progressive team pioneering scalable manufacturing processes for the generation of therapeutic cells from pluripotent stem cells (PSC). Hands on experience in the development of scalable adherent mammalian cell culture methods and process closure are desired. Familiarity with cGMP aseptic manufacturing requirements is a plus.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a talented scientist/engineer to contribute to bringing a new class of medicines to patients and gain valuable career experience in translational medicine. Collaboration with a highly-motivated, world-class team of scientists and engineers promises an exciting and engaging work environment for motivated, self-starting candidates.
- Plan, design, and execute projects and experiments to develop improved processes for adherent culture of pluripotent stem cells (PSC) and derivates, including planar scale-up and process closure.
- Identify and determine appropriate ranges for (critical) process parameters for cell culture and downstream processing to optimize product yield and quality.
- Evolve and optimize processes and systems for clinical and commercial scale manufacture of PSC derived cell products in a cGMP compliant manner.
- Analyze and document experimental data in electronic laboratory notebooks in a timely and accurate manner in accordance with the company quality management system.
- Develop, prepare and follow standard operating procedures, batch records and other process documentation.
- Present scientific data to colleagues in group meetings, prepare and present internal and external presentations (presentations, posters, publications), author and submit articles to peer-reviewed journals as required.
- Track and report to management and colleagues project and experimental progress, risks, and mitigations.
- Supervise and mentor technical staff.
- Ph.D. with at least 2+ years with extensive experience mammalian cell culture experience, or similar. Experience with stem and/or primary culture is highly desirable.
- A solid understanding of bioprocess engineering fundamentals and hands on experience with scalable cell processing technologies is essential. Experience with large planar culture formats (e.g., Cell Factory, HyperFlask, roller bottles) a strong plus.
- Experience with, and functional understanding of cell characterization methods and technologies (e.g., flow cytometry, qPCR, immunoassays, microscopy)
- Practical knowledge of experimental design (e.g., DoE) and statistical analysis of data.
- Strong English written and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and process development skills.